Variable creation through Project Settings

What’s the difference between variables created from Project settings and variables created from assign value activity ?

hey @duchesselily,

From the execution point, it is the same as you declare a variable inside the workflow (using the ‘Assign value to variable’ activity), but also this activity has many more settings to be applied - ability to create a dynamic value and use the previous step result (“Calculate a value”/“Save the previous step result” options), choose a scope of the variable (local/global) and leave a comment.

The Project Variables could be used to simplify the testing of the project with different values as you don’t need to search across the whole workflow all your variables if you create them there.

1 Like

Oh ok, got it!
And the variables I created in the project settings are by default local ? Or global ?
It would be nice indeed to have a central place where we can see all variables in the workflow, and identify which ones are used or not, I feel like that is missing.

hey @duchesselily,

It has a specific scope (visible only for the project). So I suggest you to use global variables created by the ‘Assign value to variable’ activity.

1 Like